Friday, April 1, 2016

Coconut Telegraph

Sorry to disappoint ya, but this post is gonna be more than 25 words. (If you don't understand that sentence because obviously all my posts are longer than 25 words, the coconut telegraph is only supposed to be 25 words. "Put it on the coconut telegraph in 25 words or less." It's in Jimmy Buffett's song in which this post was named after, clearly based upon the fact that I'm drinking yet another coconut because the addiction is real.)
Friday was my beach day. It was actually Good Friday, but against my better judgement and forced upon me by the situation I was in, I celebrated my Easter with the Church of the Ocean instead of a normal, actual church. (Also idk if the Church of the Ocean is a real thing or not, so just to clarify, I meant like the ocean was my holy place for the weekend and I was a horrible Catholic and did not attend a real church, but not because I didn't want to, simply because strangely enough none around were actually open.)
I didn't have anything planned for Friday because originally Friday was the day I was supposed to fly in on before I realized that a) Thursday flights were cheaper and b) I don't have classes on Thursdays. So I planned on doing town on Thursday and beach on Friday. But the beach that was close to the house was so rough and literally no one went there except for very few locals who came to do their thing and leave and probably wouldn't even notice me, so for my safety (although I am totally capable by myself in the ocean; I pride myself on the strong relationship that I have with the water) I decided to go back into town and go to the beach that I found the night before.
First I stopped for a fish burger at BayGer (which at first I didn't understand the name then I realized Bay as in Byron Bay and although I must admit it was clever, I do not see it as clever because it took me so long to get I just feel stupid). Fish burgers are one thing New Zealand excels at. I would usually call them a fish sandwich, but here they're called fish burgers so I expected the same thing when I ordered mine in Byron, but instead of a fried piece of fish it was grilled like a burger and kept falling apart and out of my bun. It was still delicious though, but maybe that's because it's the first real food I've ate in at least 36 hours, excluding smoothies. Either way, I ate as much as I could but not eating real food for a while makes your stomach a lot smaller so I couldn't finish it all. After my meal I walked down the street to the beach.
There was still live music and it was just as lively as it was the night before, but with more people. There are two sides to the beach but I just went to the side I went to the night before, with the dogs and the surfers. I quickly put my stuff between a couple rocks and headed into the water. It didn't take long for me to realize I was on the surf side of the beach and the swimmers were all on the other side, that up until now I hadn't even realize existed. I lasted about an hour on the surfer side before I got sick of moving out of their way and gave in and went to the swimmer side.
Once on the swimmer side, I felt better because I know to always be like 5 feet from people and although I stayed that close to other swimmers on the surfer side, there were more swimmers on the swimmer side (obviously)
(ALSO LET ME PAUSE THIS SUPER AWESOME POST TO INFORM YOU ALL THAT I'M LISTENING TO JIMMY BUFFETT MIX ON YOUTUBE AND VOLCANO JUST CAME ON AND OMG ITS MY JAM [not as much as Cherry Pie but pretty close][thanks, Carnival]
I DON'T KNOW WHERE IMMA GONNA GO WHEN THE VOLCANO BLOW 
OMG THIS IS ALSO TOTALLY RELEVANT TO MY KAYAKING EXPERIENCE, IF I DON'T INCLUDE IT PLEASE REMIND ME IN A COMMENT ON THE KAYAK POST TO COME)
Okay, sorry bout that. Got a little excited. Anyways, back to my Australian adventures.
So anyways. I was just chillin in the ocean bay thing and met these people from Jersey and California that moved here for a year, kinda like Travis did, but they're just moving around. They traveled to New Zealand for two weeks before coming to Australia to do work in Sydney for 3 months and now they're traveling up the coast. Not really sure what their plans are but hey, you do you. Anyways I thought we would be friends but then they got out and didn't come back in. :(
The side current was super strong, which is why they originally got out but I just side swam back and made sure I stayed between the two big boulder rocks that marked the walkway that my things were near. Because of the current, people came and went quite often and noone stayed near me long enough to talk to me. Oh fun fact, the reason I even talked to those Americans was because they pronounced Cairns wrong and I had to give my two cents about whatever they were saying about Cairns because well, my Queensland obsession is real. Like I wanted to spend all four years at James Cook University, but Daddy said it was too far away (which I guess he was right, considering I only lasted a semester and half in Florida). I also picked out a house in Port Douglas when we were there four years ago because I was convinced I'd live there someday. Maybe someday, but for now I think I'll just stick to the Caribbean.
Anyways, once my knees couldn't handle anymore fighting I reluctantly got out. To my delight, there were two coconut carts at the top of the walkway! Oh, happy day! So I grabbed a coconut and settled down on the grass where I could hear the band.
"Drinkin out of a coconut, listenin to Don't Worry Be Happy via live band, & chillin on a beach in Australia. I'd say it's a good Good Friday" -@TashaNicole97 on Twitter
"Beaches + coconuts = my [dream] life (oh wait, nope, it's real life)" -@TashaNicole97 on Instagram
(Feel free to follow me)
It didn't take long for me to drink it, but then I ate the smooth meat. It must've been from the same family as the Samoan coconut. Although this one was clearly clean cut, there were also other differences between it and the Samoan one, so they weren't totally the same type but they totally could be related (ya know, other than them both being coconuts). I think these ones were called gold coconuts? Or maybe the sign just said cold coconuts? I dunno; the cart close to me simply said "Drinking Coconuts". Either way it was good.
After my coconut I just chilled out, people watching and such. They roll their own cigarettes, like with a paper and I guess tobacco or something. How interesting. Probably how they roll weed but it didn't smell like weed (how do I know what weed smells like you ask? Well I do live in Ocean City in the summers; ya don't gotta smoke it to smell it).
The guy that asked for the paper from another guy had a dog. He told the dog "go find a stick" so they could play catch and this dog comes back with like half a tree. Like the thing didn't even fit in her mouth. She had to like roll it up the hill with her muzzle. Aw man, I should've got a picture. But I wasn't thinking. But yeah it was cute. I love dogs.
I also saw the Surf Rescue/Beach Patrol pack up for the day. They pack up at 4:30, compared to our 5:30. I found it interesting that they use a tractor for their heavy lifting whilst we use ATVs/4-wheelers. They don't have any stands to move but they had their rescue boards and jet skis. I watched them pack up from the time I noticed them starting to clear out until they were completely packed away in the shed at the top of the walkway, next to the Yoga Studio.
I stayed til like 5 or 6 then I was gonna get food in town before I headed back to the house but I just went back to the house and ordered a pizza. The pizza place I ordered from needed a minimum order of so much so I also got raviolis, figuring the pizza would last me 2 meals and the raviolis would last me 1 (lol no I forgot how much of a little fatty I am). I was eating the raviolis and I spilled and I stained my beloved Carnival Got Wifi shirt :( . I was so sad. I've since washed the shirt and it's still stained. But I've come up with the idea to tye-dye it so hopefully it'll be less noticeable so we'll see what happens.
Until next time,
xoxo,
Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment