Friday, April 8, 2016

Bye Bye Byron


Okay so I've had a really rough week and I'm exhausted but tomorrow my blog post from last weekend's snorkeling goes up so I might as well just get the last day of my Australian adventures over with. It's not like I actually did anything the last day anyways.
So checkout was at like 11 but the shuttle bus wasn't coming to pick me up from the accommodation to take me to the airport until 2, so instead of dragging all my stuff into town and back I went to the local beach and just chilled for a couple hours. Getting to the beach was like super duper awful. I went a different way than I did before because I thought it would be closer but it was really rough and my suitcase kept flipping over and it just wasn't good. But I made it.
It was really hot and I didn't have my swimsuit on because I was going to the airport, but I went in as far as I could anyways (like to my waist after the waves, a bit farther than I anticipated) whenever I got too hot. Other than that I just chilled on my towel and listened to my iPod. It's actually the first time I've used my iPod since leaving the States (I haven't even listened to it on the planes because of the free tv and trivia they all provide over here) so it felt good actually using my iPod for once. I was gonna have like a jungley/beachy photoshoot for my elephant to pass the time, but I was feeling too lazy. So I literally just laid there for a couple hours and anyone that knows me knows I'm totally awful at doing nothing so it was no bueno. I ended up drinking all my water within like the first hour so I was also completely dying of thirst. I left the beach a few minutes earlier than I planned in search of water.
Going back I also went a different way because I thought the road would be closer going back on an actual path than how I'd come in - through the Australian brush. Uh, yeah, no. I would've gotten back to the road closer had I stuck to the jungle and not the actual path. Weird, right? But then I passed a resort with a pool! If only I had known about it earlier, I would've snuck into the pool and it would've been great. But I stopped and asked them if they had any water and they didn't. They did have an outdoor shower for the pool, but when I tried to put my head under the facet my neck wouldn't bend how it needed to, so still totally dying I moved on and wound up back on the road where I was to be picked up in 40 minutes.
10 minutes after the time I was supposed to be picked up, there was still no van in sight so I called the company to make sure they were still coming because I had a plane to catch. I don't ever call people, so this was a big deal. Thankfully, the van showed up while I was on the phone with the company and we made it to the airport on time.
Like I mentioned before, Ballina Byron airport is super small. So after I waited in the very long check in line, I quickly made it through security and had just enough coins to get a water from the vending machine. I drank the whole water before I boarded the plane and was still dying but at least I knew I wouldn't actually die, thanks to the water I just drank.
Once we landed in Sydney, my boarding pass told me I had like 20 minutes to get to my next gate. So I was like flipping out almost running through the airport, and I got there 5 minutes past the time, only to find out that the plane wasn't even there yet and I still had an hour. So I walked around looking for more drink and some food (since I hadn't eaten all day). I finally settled on a lasagna (I think maybe I let my grandmother treat me to it, how nice of her. She's the best. Thanks oxie) and it came just as I was being called to board. So I quickly ate it while everyone else crowded onto the plane and when the lines settled down a bit I took my seat and headed back to Auckland, even though I would've loved to either A) stay in Australia or B) trade Auckland for America.
Once I got back to Auckland, I took the SkyBus back to the city. I check the SkyBus maps and everything before I boarded to make sure I knew where to get off, but the bus driver didn't follow the map at all! She literally only went on Queen Street, which if I would've knew would've been fine because Queen Street is close enough, but on the map it said she went to Symond's street, which is exactly where I need to be, so I kept waiting for her to go to Symond's Street, and she never did. She finally got to Britomart and was like "last stop, everyone off" so I had to walk back past all the other stops she made (that would've been much closer for me) with all my luggage at 1:30am in a foreign city to get back to where I needed to be for a bed. It was totally awful. That was the start of my downfall. But I made it back to my room alive so now we'll just have to see if I will survive.
Until next time,
xoxo,
Tasha

2 comments:

  1. But survive you did. and added another interesting blog. How boring to just be staying on campus and not doing anything. So, you go girl! and keep the pictures coming, too.

    ReplyDelete