Saturday, April 30, 2016

Busy in Brissy

Okay so to be honest the reason I've taken forever in writing this post is because I can't think of a clever title and it's killing me.
I had a 9 hour layover in Brisbane on my way to Bali, and I didn't want to just stay in the airport or go to sleep (it was a nighttime layover) because I had never been to Brisbane before so I wanted to see the city. Thankfully, my lovely friend, Chris, who I met at the Bluesfest over Easter, lives in Brisbane and was willing to show me around for the night.
Okay so first off I had some luggage issues, but I think I'll talk about that in my flight post instead of my Brissy post. So I guess for this post it's just important to know that it was frustrating and took a while. Chris came to pick me up from the airport and he had to go park because it took too long. But eventually we were on the road into town.
We parked a few streets out of town, for ya know, car safety and such. Then we walked to the more quieter nightlife part, where the rooftop bars were. So like rooftop bars just seem totally amazing to me so I was hype. Unfortunately, the one we were gonna go to was closed because there weren't enough people. Guess quiet was too quiet, lol.
So then we went next door to a TIKI BAR. So like technically, the man bar was inside, but it had outside areas that were practically like almost rooftop bars (okay prob not, more like really large balconies, but still cool). It was awesome! Like I seriously would totally go back to that bar. The decor was on point. The music was totally rockin. & the outdoor area was lovely. MY DRINK CAME IN A PINEAPPLE! It was great.
Also, people there are SO NICE. This one guy was all upset because he called a Canadian an American and the Canadian got super offended (no idea why, sometimes we 'mericans are supa cool). I laughed and the guy like opened up his conversation with his buddy to me. Like in America, I feel like you'd get beat up if you laughed at someone else's conversation.
Then they kicked us out of the outdoor part. I still don't know why, but they closed it. But they had another outdoor part for smoking, so we just went out there because it was practically the same as where we just were except with people smoking. There, some girl started talking to me about my drink being in a pineapple. Like she just started conversation with me. Like who does that? It was so nice! I haven't had actual human interaction since Byron, so it was extremely refreshing and man, I love Australia.
Then later, this guy tells me he likes my pants and said they looked like Versace! Like he said he wasn't kidding. Like whaaattt, that is so nice of him. (Btw, I was wearing The Elephant Pants, as per usual.) Like people here. Like I can't.
Even tho the tiki bar was totally amazing and I totally would've stayed there all night, I did want to see more of Brisbane, so I made us leave to go check out the town.
We headed to the main night life strip, and every single bar was playing Walking on Sunshine. Like I don't know if that was the song of the night or what but it was interesting lol. Good thing I like that song.
So the next place we went was this bar with live music. The girl couldn't sing, but I liked her outfit. I sang along and danced anyways because why not, and when they were done playing we headed back out for more. Next we stopped at this new place that was like a legit club, and you'd think that because I work at a club and I want to own a club that I would like clubs. And I love clubs I just don't like being a patron at them. So yeah that didn't last very long. Then we went out exploring and landed in Chinatown (of course. I literally can't go anywhere without getting myself in Chinatown) where we went to this crazy Asian place. It was insane. The people had like powder on their faces and there were people dancing on the table/stage thing when you entered (see picture to the left) and it was just crazy. Chris loved it of course, but yeah I'd pass. So we left. But it was definitely interesting to see and I'm glad I saw/experienced it.
It was there that I realized that their Asian infestation is basically the equivalent to our Latino "problem" (obviously they're neither infestations nor problems, but Asian infestation rhymes and that's why problem is in quotes). Asia is so close to Australia/New Zealand (hence Australasia) just like Latin America is so close to the United States. So I'm so un-used to all the Asians and their cultural differences, but I'm sure if a Kiwi or Aussie were to come to the States they would feel the same way, but about the Latinos. Like I'm totally comfortable with them but they would be totally foreign to someone from this side of the world. And I just need to make sure it's clear that I am not being racist in this paragraph, I'm just stating how being from one part of the world makes you (not ignorant but I can't really think of a better word...) almost unaware of the other cultures/races out there that you literally never see and then when you do see them you aren't quite sure of their cultural behaviors (what they consider normal/appropriate and such - again, not racist as each culture actually does have different norms and acceptances) and therefore you feel a little out of your comfort zone. So yeah this is when I realized that they're a normal part of life in this side of the world and therefore have most likely adapted to Aussie culture and should be treated as such. (Is that less racist for ya?) Chris even says that in school they learn Chinese and Japanese, whereas in America we learn Spanish. Possibly French, because, ya know, Haiti and Canada. But growing up those were your only options - Spanish or French. With more opportunities to go further if you picked Spanish.
Also, I'm sure it's pretty clear by now, but I don't really care who I offend in my posts because it's my blog and it's for my thoughts and reflections for me to look back upon when I'm old and can't remember what my trip to New Zealand was like, so if you don't like it, don't read it. (Actually tho I kinda do care, but I'm still gonna keep writing/posting what I do, so, yeah, deal with it.)
Wow, didn't realize how late it was (12:30am). I have yoga tomorrow, so I'm gonna try to wrap this up and go to bed. (I blame Jon Bon coming on my Pandora. I swear Bon Jovi does something to my blood that is stronger than any energy drink/coffee I can imagine.)
So after that experience, we started walking again and somehow ended up back at the car. So we headed to the harbour because hello, I'm kinda water obsessed. We went past the cruise port (tear, tear). Ah, maybe one day. Then we just chilled near the water, idk if it was a park or harbor or what but yeah. It was pretty chill. Nah but forreal it was lovely. There was this dude on a dock across from us and I kept calling him a 12 year old because he looked so small but it was probably a full grown dude working. Might've been the lack of sleep but hey it was fun.
Soon the clock turned 4 and I had to head back to the airport for my flight to Bali. I made it back to the airport in time, thanks to my new Brisbane bud.
(photo from Auckland but I needed a
sign off pic lol)
Until next time,
xoxo,
Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment