Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Beach that Busted my Bum

A Hawaiian, two Germans, and a blonde head to the beach. 
That's it. That's the line. No joke (Thank God, right? That would've been an awful joke). Real life. (That's as far as I've got with my cleverness...) Wait, while we're on my cleverness I should probably explain the cleverness of my title because I feel like most of you (hmmm hmmm MOTHER) won't get/appreciate my beautiful genius, even though you'll certainly say you will. Kinda like my Cherry 3.14, but that's another story for another time. So anyways I totally didn't bust my butt I'm 100% as not broken as I was when I woke up this morning, but the cleverness of this title is something that you need to appreciate (MOTHER). Anywhos, so obviously there's the alliteration that I'm addicted to (oh look there's more) and then there's the whole "bum" situation. Clearly I'm referring to the butt with the word bum, but it also goes beyond that as a beach bum is sometimes commonly what I might refer to myself as occasionally. So yeah, point is, it's clever. Understand it. Appreciate it. Laugh at it. Tell me I did a good job with it (hint hint Baba, since you seem to like commenting on these...). 

So as you know, I don't have classes on Thursdays. So when Nick posted on the Surf & Beach Club Facebook group that he wanted to go to the West Coast [Best Coast?] this Thursday (aka today) I was totally for it. So afternoon comes and I head over to UniLodge (the one with the pool) to meet these strangers to take me to the beach. I was the first one there so I got the front seat. Radio didn't work, so no DJ duties, but I was in charge of GPS. It was only like 27 miles away but took almost an hour, but we did kinda get lost bc "lost satellite reception", go figure. But we made it. Thea and I rented boards while Jonas used one of Nick's and Nick played teacher. He was a super good teacher and I can only assume Kai should seriously consider teaching lessons, being as how all his girls end up needing Lauren to rescue them...anyways, Nick was a great teacher and I feel like the $5 I gave him for gas probably should've went towards the free lessons he gave instead, but whatevssss. 
The waves, water, and beach themselves. um, wowza. I am a water person. The water is my person (my person being what hipsters these days call soulmates). I am much more than the 50-65% water an average human is. But this water. This awful water. I think maybe it was trying to kill me. I've never been in such a strong current in my life, like I didn't even know it was possible to be that strong. I've never seen waves like that. (The ones we couldn't even get to because of the current. We were surfing on purely the whitewash foam.) When I asked Nick if they had waves like that in Hawaii, he said they weren't that bad. & of course they're cleaner (surf term, abuela, not clean like the water was dirty. like it was choppy and not nice surfing waves) in Hawaii. But we survived. & I will survive as long as I know how to love I know I'll stay alive. Cause I've got all my life to live and all my love to give to the ocean and I'll survive. (Hey I warned you a couple posts ago about my brainwaves....get it, brain WAVES, HAHAHA. like music waves because of the song or like ocean waves because of the post. ITS A DOUBLE JOKE HAHAHA; yeah I'm a bit tired...or am I just sun stoned? Too much sun, too much surf,...alex. hahaha [she prob doesn't even read these so that joke will totally go wasted bc it's an inside with her, oh well] also I literally just spent like 15 minutes going back through my texts to find the correct term for that.)
So I took a break from this to go get a milkshake because I needed brain fuel and now I'm totally too into my Pandora, but I think ya'll get the gist of this post anyways. So yeah, I think I'm gonna like end it here, but first I'm gonna throw in another shout out to my besties here; this one for Emily. Emily coming in clutch with the potatoes earlier when I was hungry and tired from the beach, then she just went with me to get milkshakes and GAVE ME HERS when I drank mine and I guess she didn't want hers anymore? Idk how she could've not wanted it, but isn't that so nice? She's the best.
Oh also I forgot the point of this was to like tell ya'll about my surfing adventure and I haven't really even mentioned us surfing besides the fact that we rented the boards and used the whitewash. So anyways, yeah, we couldn't make it to the actual waves because the current was a demon. So we practiced our paddling and pop-ups with the whitewash, which was like mega confusing at first bc if it's not breaking because it's already broke, how do you know when to pop up? Apparently you just go when it pushes you and it's like totally under you? I dunno. Whatever. So anyways, the last time I was successful I was on an 8ft board, but my board is like 5'6". So my goals were clearly to eventually make my way down to the size of my little baby board. So we get there and I tell the lady this, and I'm like "so can I try like a 7ft board maybe" and she was like "We have 7'3" and 6'8" but not 7'" and I was like "Okay I'll take the bigger one" and she gives me the smaller one (I didn't notice til..later in the story) >:( . But so I went out on that one anddd...I got to my knees a couple times, but like that's so not what you're supposed to do. Then I realized my hands were too far in front of me in my pop up, but I'm sure there were other issues also. So then Nick's all like "you should go trade that for a bigger board" so I go back to the lady and I'm like "can I have the bigger board" and she's like "do you want the 7'3"? Or here's a 7'6"" (UH WHY DIDN'T SHE SAY THAT ONE TO START WITH) so I take that one and, oh gee look, I'm better. I only actually rode a couple, but I stood every. single. time. Just like you're supposed to do - stand. If I had started with that one, maybe I wouldn't've felt like a failure in the beginning. Like it was looking like I never even saw anyone surf before. Like it was bad. But whatever. I didn't die. I didn't get hurt. I survived the worst beach I've ever met in my life.
& I'll probably go back.
This pic is from
Cathedral Cove
but I don't have a pic of
just me from today
til next time,
xoxo,
Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment