Friday, October 8, 2021

Mermaids and Sharks

 Hola! Buenas dias mis amigos! Una otra dia en el ScuaSpa en Maldives con las sirenas. Esta manana, me despierto a las sies para mi secunda dive! This dive was to s a shark cleaning station. (also please ignore my inccorect spellings and such as I don't know how to get accents or the upside down ! on my American keyboard) I applied the advice from yesterday and didn't have much problem getting down, yay learning! 

The vis is still ... not... Idk how to describe it, like I can see the sharkies far away-ish, but the colors are not there, but like they are but not bright like other reef dives. 

Anywhos it was a much more exciting dive than yesterday. Tons of whitetip reef sharks, even some pregnant ones, a few blacktip reef sharks, and some grey reef sharks. There were also more schools of different types of fish than I had ever seen, which was really cool. I also saw an eagle ray. In Soddie we saw eagle rays like everyday but they're on the bucket list for these people so I guess they're rarer than I thought so that was special. I didn't see a turtle but another group did. Some of our team had to go up early for air but they let the rest of us stay for longer so that was lovely. It was a good dive. 


Despues del dive, comemos breakfast then Emma did my makeup for our first photoshoot. She did amazing; I want to take her home with me and have her do my makeup all the time. I look amazing. We went to the beach for semi-dry photoshoots. I live at the beach so I wasn't excited for beach photos but these girls are from Germany and Sweden so they rarely have the opportunity for such. We were split into 2 groups because there are 2 photographers so everyone can get done quicker. I was first to go in my group and Lille was a great help with making sure I was posing right for the best picture. After Lydia and I finished, the boat was back to collect us so I felt really bad that I went first and took up the time when I have a beach at home. But the second boat back didn't come back until much later so I think they let the girls finish their shoots as well. It was also really windy so when we weren't being shot we had to help hold equipment so we didn't have any time to swim for fun or GoPro videos. The island was not that great and I hope we go to better ones throughout the week; this one is just sand, coral chunks, and trash. No greenery and kinda painful to the feet. 

My worried face! Scared the night dive would be cancelled again.
Lunchtime was when we came back, then we were supposed to do group drone shoots on a different island but the weather was not in our favor. I am going on the night dive at 5:45 so I was worried about time to get back, then I saw the clouds and was worried the dive would get cancelled again (was supposed to be yesterday but cancelled due to weather). Have no fear; it all worked out! 

It rained too hard for us to go to the island, so we did group photos on the bar instead. I was mostly okay sitting there but then when it was time to get down, my legs were weaker than after 6 hours in tail at MarlinFest. When the divers from the afternoon dive got back, it had finished raining and the sky cleared up for us to do our night dive! 


Off the jetty of a nearby resort, food is dumped nightly into the ocean. Therefore, sharks and rays know to linger at said jetty for their nightly meals. It is an active jetty so divers have to be extra careful for boats. We all took flashlights down and sat on the sand in a semicircle as we watched the sharks and rays play. Dozens of nurse sharks and probably 3 or 4 Jenkins whiprays. The nurse sharkies swam right up/past me! See, I didn't need to spend all that money to go to Bahamas to play with nurse sharks; I can just do it right here in Maldives. Oh wait, this is much, much farther than Bahamas and probably around the same price. Oh whale, at least now I finally got to hang with the nurses. When we got back, buzzing with excitement, it was dinnertime. After dinner, a nurse shark joined us on the back of the boat! I guess she just couldn't get enough of us. It was great. 

Until next time,

xoxo,

Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment