Sunday, January 9, 2022

Maldiven Whale Sharks

 So I just published what I thought was a summary of the rest of my week in Maldives but I don't see any posts about the whale shark so I'm not sure what day/when it took place but we're gonna talk about it now lol 



Whale shark day we had breakfast as normal then everyone - divers and nondivers alike - boarded the dive boat to head out on our whale shark expedition. We went up on the roof and kept our eyes peeled for any large, dark shadows that could be a whale shark. 

Eventually we found the whale shark! Well, we found and lost it a couple times. But then we found it enough to get in with it! First, everyone got in on snorkel to snorkel around with it. After we swam around with it as fast/long/far as we could, we boarded the boat again to find it or another for our second swim with it. For the second swim, divers would go down on scuba (apparently whale sharks like to play in the bubbles as do I) while the non-divers could do another snorkel with it. Unfortunately as soon as we got in, it disappeared again so only those that jumped in first got about a minute with it and those in the back (where I was) didn't get to dive with it at all but we continued our dive along the reef wall in hopes it would come back or we'd find it again. We didn't. It's a good thing we all snorkeled with it at the beginning! 

A big thing for me is I really wanted my picture with a whale shark in my mermaid tail. Shannon did it in Mexico, Kat has done it during the 2019 Maldives trip, Hannah does it all the time - so I don't understand why when I want to whether here or in Mexico they don't let us? I am a very quick swimmer; I am a Divemaster; I just don't get it. But whatever I'm done booking trips like that thinking I'll get to be in my tail with it (I've swam with whale sharks as a human before, been there done that I wanted a pic in my tail but I didn't even get a pic of it and me as a human this time lameeeeee). It's disappointing but I'll get over it. At least we got to see one I guess. 

The whale shark encounter was like an all day plan so I'm not sure what else we did that day which is why it wasn't included in my earlier Maldives posts oh whale good thing this blog isn't really for you guys 

Until next time,

xoxo,

Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment